This ERTICO Cookie Notice (version 1.1) is effective as of 14 September, 2020.
Your privacy is important to ERTICO.
We have drafted this Cookie Notice in an easy and comprehensible way in order to help you understand who we are, what personal data we collect about you, why we collect it, and what we do with it.
Keep in mind that personal data (in this Policy also referred to as “data” or “your data”) means any information or set of information from which we are able, directly or indirectly, to personally identify you, in particular by reference to an identifier, such as IP addresses stored in cookies.
WHO IS ERTICO?
ERTICO is a public-private partnership of 120 companies and organisations representing service providers, suppliers, traffic and transport industry, research, public authorities, user organisations, mobile network operators, and vehicle manufacturers.
The services provided by ERTICO (EUROPEAN ROAD TRANSPORT TELEMATICS IMPLEMENTATION COORDINATION ORGANISATION SCRL, avenue Louise 326 at 1050 Brussels, RPM : 0445.743.506, hereafter also “we” “us”) consist of organising and coordinating events, seminars, workshops, courses, surveys, research, conferences, congresses, e-learning, and other forms of events, as well as providing logistical and organisational support for these services.
WHEN DOES THIS COOKIE NOTICE APPLY?
This Cookie Notice applies to the following ERTICO domain(s): sensoris.org (hereafter “websites”).
We believe that it is very important that you know what cookies ERTICO’s websites use and for what purposes. This will help protect your privacy, while ensuring ERTICO’s websites user-friendliness. Below you can read more about the cookies used by and via ERTICO’s websites and the purposes for which they are used.
Please keep in mind that since ERTICO is a company with international activities, this Cookie Notice may be replaced or supplemented in order to fulfil local requirements, as well as to provide you with additional information on how ERTICO processes your data through specific ERTICO products, services, systems or applications.
WHAT ARE COOKIES?
Cookies are small text files that are stored on your computer’s hard disk when you visit certain websites. ERTICO may use similar techniques, such as pixels, web beacons etc. For consistency’s sake, all these techniques combined will be named ‘cookies’. As a rule, cookies will make your browsing experience better, more efficient, retain user preferences, store information for things like shopping carts and provide anonymised tracking data to third party applications, such as Google Analytics. These indirect cookies are similar to direct cookies but come from a different (non-ERTICO) website to the one you are visiting.
Please be aware that ERTICO currently does not make use of a technical solution that would enable to respond to your browser’s ‘Do Not Track’ signals. In order to manage your cookie preferences, however, you may alter the cookie settings in your browser settings at any time. You may accept all, or certain, cookies.
WHAT TYPES OF COOKIES DO WE USE?
By law organisations like ERTICO can store cookies on your device, if these cookies are strictly necessary for the operation of this website. For all other types of cookies ERTICO needs your permission. ERTICO’s websites use both types of cookies. Some cookies are placed by third party services that appear on ERTICO’s pages.
Such Essential cookies are mandatory, as they help ERTICO to make our websites usable by enabling basic functions like page navigation and access to secure areas of the website. Our websites cannot function properly without these cookies. They are part of the terms and conditions of the ERTICO websites. If personal data is being processed, it is processed based on contractual execution for the following purposes:
- Making sure the website looks consistent.
- Providing a secure log-in.
- Passing on information from one page to the next, for instance if a long survey is being filled in or if you need to fill in a large number of details for an online order.
- Storing preferences such as language, location, the number of search results to be displayed etc.
- Storing settings for optimal video display, such as buffer size and your screen’s resolution details.
- Reading your browser settings so that ERTICO can display its websites optimally on your screen
- Locating the misuse of ERTICO’s websites and services, for example by recording several consecutive failed log-in attempts.
- Loading the website evenly so that it remains accessible.
- Offering the option of storing log-in details so that you don’t have to enter them every time.
- Making it possible to place a reaction on ERTICO’s websites.
ERTICO uses Optional cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse its traffic. ERTICO also shares information about your use of ERTICO’s websites with its social media, analytics and advertising partners who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided to them or that they’ve collected from your use of their services. ERTICO will only process them if you grant your consent. ERTICO has identified three types of purposes for Optional cookies:
- Social Media: These cookies make it possible to connect with ERTICO via your social networks and read reviews: Logged-in users of selected social media can share and like certain content from ERTICO’s websites directly, are allowed to share pages with social networks and post comments.
- Statistics: These cookies allow ERTICO to analyse the websites usage to measure and improve the performance of its websites, allowing ERTICO to improve the user experience. They also keep track of the number of visitors to ERTICO’s web pages and the length of time that each visitor spends on ERTICO’s web pages. They determine the order in which a visitor visits the various pages on ERTICO’s websites and assess which parts of ERTICO’s websites need to be improved, allowing ERTICO to optimise its websites.
- Marketing cookies are used to track website visitors across websites (including social media). ERTICO’s intention is to display ads that are relevant, to engage better with individual users and third party advertisers and to record your visit, assessing your interests. These cookies also allow a check to be run to see if you have clicked on an advertisement, collect information about your surfing behavior to be passed to other websites and third-party services to be used to show you advertisements. More interesting advertisements can be displayed on the basis of your social media usage. Marketing cookies can keep track of which advertisements you have already been shown, so that you are not always shown the same ones, and can keep track of how many visitors click on the advertisement.
You can at any time change or withdraw your cookie consent via ERTICO’s website or by contacting ERTICO via privacy@mail.ERTICO.com.
In addition to the legal distinction between Essential and Optional cookies, both cookies may also be subdivided into categories according to their origin, function and lifetime:
- First-party cookies are cookies set by ERTICO during your visit to an ERTICO website.
- Third-party cookies: are cookies set by a third party when you visit an ERTICO website (e.g. by clicking on the “share” button), such as Google, Twitter, Flickr or Facebook.
- Persistent cookies: also known as “tracking cookies” outlast the individual session and remain on your hard disk for a predefined period of until you choose to delete them. They are activated each time you visit the website that sets the cookie (e.g. an ERTICO website or the social media). Persistent cookies are usually Optional cookies.
- Session cookies: enable the visitor to proceed quickly and easily around the website during a browsing session. A browsing session begins when the visitor opens his/her browser. Session cookies are temporary: all session cookies are deleted when he/she closes the browser. Session cookies generally fall into the category of Essential cookies.
Below you will find a detailed list of the cookies that ERTICO uses on its websites, together with the applicable third parties and retention times.
DETAILED OVERVIEW OF THE COOKIES DO WE USE
|Essential||This cookie is used to distinguish between humans and bots. This is beneficial for the website, in order to make valid reports on the use of their website.||1 day|
|Used by the content network, to identify trusted web traffic.||29 days|
|This cookie is a part of the services – Including load-balancing, deliverance of website content and serving DNS connection for website operators.||Session|
|Helps prevent Cross-Site Request Forgery (CSRF) attacks.||Session|
|Preserves users states across page requests.||Session|
|Tests whether the website user’s browser allows third party cookies.||Session|
|Used to distribute traffic to the website on several servers in order to optimise response times.||Session|
|Preserves the visitor’s session state across page requests.||Session|
|Identifies the user and allows authentication to the server.||Session|
|Registers whether the user is logged in. This allows the website owner to make parts of the website inaccessible, based on the user’s log-in status.||1 year|
|Unique ID that identifies the user’s session.||Persistent|
|Remembers the user’s selected language version of a website.||1 year|
|Enables our website to remember your choice of character font and so to personalise your browsing session.||1 year|
|Optional: Statistics||Google Analytics||_utma||Cookie to enable us to observe how you use our website, see where you are based and to improve our website.|
|_utmb||Cookie to enable ERTICO to observe how you use its website, see where you are based and to improve its website.||30 minutes|
|_utmc||Cookie to enable ERTICO to observe how you use its website, see where you are based and to improve its website.||Session|
|_utmz||Cookie to enable ERTICO to observe how you use its website, see where you are based and to improve its website.||6 months|
|OTHER EXAMPLES||Registers the date and time for the user’s latest visit to the website.Unique ID that identifies the user on recurring visits.
Registers a unique ID that is used to generate statistical data on how the visitor uses the website.
Registers statistical data on visitors’ behaviour on the website. Used for internal analytics by the website operator.
|Optional: Marketing||Used by Google DoubleClick to register and report the website user’s actions after viewing or clicking one of the advertiser’s ads with the purpose of measuring the efficacy of an ad and to present targeted ads to the user.||1 year|
|Optional: Social||Tries to estimate the users’ bandwidth on pages with integrated YouTube videos.||179 days|
|Registers a unique ID to keep statistics of what content from YouTube the user has seen.||Session|
|Stores the user’s video player preferences using embedded YouTube videos.||Session|
|Registers a unique ID to keep statistics of what content from LinkedIn the user has seen.||Session|
|Registers a unique ID to keep statistics of what content from Twitter the user has seen.||Session|
|Registers a unique ID to keep statistics of what content from Facebook the user has seen.||Session|
|Registers a unique ID to keep statistics of what content from Flickr the user has seen.||Session|